Dr. Martin is an expert at keeping smiles healthy and restoring those which have lost function. He’s always here to help, which includes making sure you’re taking care of your smile at home!
Brushing and flossing are a must, of course, but it’s also crucial not to ignore missing teeth or dental pain. All of us at Smiles of Punta Gorda want the best for your oral health, and letting these issues slide can become big trouble for the rest of your teeth and overall oral health.
If you are experiencing any dental pain that is preventing you from brushing, flossing, or eating comfortably, we want you to contact our Punta Gorda, FL dentist office today at 941-585-0424.
Tips For Protecting Smiles At Home
- Brushing – You should brush your teeth at least twice a day. This prevents food from building up and causing bacteria to damage gums or your tooth enamel. An ADA-approved soft-bristle toothbrush is typically recommended, but if you still have questions, come in for an appointment to ensure which toothbrush will most benefit your smile.Gently brush your teeth using circular motions, and make sure you brush the inner surfaces of your teeth. Also brush your tongue – this removes other bacteria and prevents stinky breath!
- Flossing – Flossing takes no time at all, and doing so daily can prevent a ton of dental problems. When food becomes stuck in between your teeth, it can cause bacteria growth and painful infections. Just take 12 to 16 inches of floss, then use your thumbs and forefingers to form a “C” with the floss around your tooth. Gently move the floss up, down, and around your tooth to clean the surface.
- Rinsing – Always rinse with water after brushing and flossing to get rid of extra food particles. If we think you should also use a mouth rinse after brushing, we’ll let you know which type is the best option for your smile.
- Using Mouthguards – If you or family members like to stay active, it’s important to protect your teeth with a mouthguard. A mouthguard should always be worn while playing sports that involve contact with the competition. Mouthguards are also recommended for non-contact activities, such as cycling, running, and ATV riding. We will create a customized mouthguard for you that is far more effective and comfortable than anything you find in stores.
- Helping Yourself Enjoy Eating Again – It’s very important that you are able to chew foods properly. Since many beneficial foods are hard, such as certain fruits and nuts, your teeth need to be strong enough so you can eat them. If you’re missing teeth or a toothache is hindering how you chew, you could be missing out on the nutrition you need and causing unnecessary digestive problems. We offer many restorative dentistry solutions to strengthen your smile, including:
- Dental Implants
- Dentures (Smiles of Punta Gorda offers free consultations)
- Root Canals
- Dental Crowns
- Dental Bridges
- Tooth Fillings
These services not only make it easier to chew, but they also greatly benefit your other existing teeth and overall health. Leaving a tooth missing can cause your other teeth to shift, and infected teeth can lead to major health issues.
- Using The Right Teeth Whitening Solution – There are too many products out there that promise a brighter smile. Instead of wasting time researching them, talk to us first. We’ll make sure you’re saving money by avoiding ineffective products, then provide you with a safe and gentle whitening kit that will create the bright smile you seek.
- Contacting Us Immediately If You’ve Had A Dental Accident – If a tooth has been chipped, cracked, broken, or knocked out, there’s no time to lose. Call us right away at 941-585-0424. We offer emergency dental care and will do our best to see you the same day as your accident.
Caring For Your Smile After Treatments
Another important factor of ensuring a healthy smile is taking care of yourself after any dental procedure.
Some easy ways to do this include:
- Cleaning your removable dentures or bridges each day to protect your mouth and keep them in good condition
- Avoiding certain foods after oral surgery procedures such as tooth extractions, ridge augmentation, gum treatments, or dental implants (we will make sure you have all the information you need at our Punta Gorda, FL dentist office)
- Making sure you remove Invisalign orthodontic aligners before eating
Make An Appointment To Learn More At Our Office!
Dr. Martin and Smiles of Punta Gorda are ready to answer any questions and provide your family with excellent dental care. Call our Punta Gorda, FL dentist office today at 941-585-0424 or contact us through our online form!