Have you made any resolutions for the new year? Perhaps you’ve decided to exercise more, or cook healthier meals, or watch less TV.
As your family dentist, we suggest that you add one more to your list: commit to keeping your entire family’s smiles healthy through 2018 and beyond. This isn’t a resolution that you have to tackle alone. The team at Smiles of Punta Gorda will be with you every step of the way. We have services to benefit all ages, and all members of your family.
To book an appointment, call our Punta Gorda, FL dental office at 941-585-0424.
Cleanings and Exams
The foundation for good dental health is the all-important checkup. No matter your age, you should be coming to see us every six months for a cleaning and exam. This is true no matter how well you take care of your teeth at home.
One of our skilled hygienists will give your teeth a professional cleaning. We are able to remove plaque and tartar from areas of your mouth that your toothbrush can’t reach — even below the gumline. This is essential to preventing tooth decay and gum disease from taking hold. We will floss and polish your teeth to get them looking their absolute best.
Dr. Martin will give your teeth, gums, and mouth a thorough examination. He will be able to detect signs of cavities and gum disease before you even realize you have them. This gives us a chance to jump on treatment if warranted. He may also screen you for oral cancer.
X-rays enable us to catch problems not visible to the naked eye, such as cavities hidden between the teeth, abscesses, jawbone deterioration, impacted teeth, cysts, and tumors.
Additional Preventive Services
We also offer additional preventive services that may be appropriate, depending on the patient’s age, lifestyle, and state of dental health.
- Sealants are mainly recommended for children, although they may be used on adults as well. A sealant is a plastic coating that’s usually brushed on the chewing surfaces of the back molars. It creates a barrier that keeps harmful bacterial acids from destroying the tooth enamel. Sealants have been shown to significantly reduce the likelihood of tooth decay in kids. (Though it’s still important to brush and floss like usual!) The process is safe, fast, and painless.
- You’ve probably heard of fluoride. It’s in our tap water and it’s in toothpaste and other oral hygiene products. Fluoride is a mineral that’s vital to keeping the tooth enamel strong and able to resist acid attacks from bacteria. It and other minerals are shed from the teeth in a process called demineralization, and must be replenished regularly. At Smiles of Punta Gorda, we offer special treatments to ensure your teeth are getting the fluoride they need.
- We offer custom mouthguards for active kids and adults. Since they are molded to the exact dimensions of your mouth, they are better fitting and more comfortable than the drugstore variety.
At Smiles of Punta Gorda, we have a full roster of procedures to restore decayed, damaged, or incomplete smiles back to health and beauty. We use a CEREC scanner for easy, pain-free impressions.
- A dental crown is placed over a damaged tooth to repair and strengthen it. We offer crowns made of the following materials: zirconium, PFM (porcelain fused to metal), ceramic, and gold.
- A bridge replaces a missing tooth so you are able to eat normally and feel confident once again! We offer traditional bridges and implant-supported bridges.
- Our fillings are made of a durable composite material that matches the color of your teeth, rendering them invisible in the mouth.
- Dental veneers are generally thought of as cosmetic, but they can also serve a restorative purpose, adding strength and durability to damaged teeth.
- Dental implants are the gold standard of tooth-replacement techniques. They fuse to your jawbone and feel and function just like natural teeth.
- For people who are missing a few teeth or an entire arch, we offer several denture options. Traditional full dentures replace an arch of missing teeth. Partial dentures are indicated if you are missing a few teeth from your smile. Implant-supported dentures enable you to replace many missing teeth and benefit from the stability and functionality of dental implants.