Dental anxiety afflicts millions of people in the United States. Some studies have estimated that roughly 15% of Americans experience some form of dental anxiety. Unfortunately, many people allow this anxiety to prevent them from getting the dental care they need.
The good news is that it is possible to overcome dental anxiety. By learning more about why you feel the way you do and the options that are available to make you feel more comfortable, you can learn to cope or even overcome your fear of the dentist. So, take a look at the info below and then call Smiles of Punta Gorda today at 941-585-0424 to request an easy appointment in Punta Gorda, FL.
What Causes Dental Anxiety?
All cases of dental anxiety are different. Any number of reasons could cause it. Some of the more common causes of dental anxiety include:
- Bad experiences in your past
- If you had a bad experience at the dentist in the past, whether as an adult or at a young age, you are more likely to experience dental anxiety. This is completely natural and more common than many people realize.
- Feeling out of control
- Many people experience anxiety at the dentist because of a sense of loss of control. Undergoing a dental exam and cleaning can make some people full vulnerable, resulting in anxiety.
- Fear of embarrassment
- No matter the condition of their teeth, many people experience anxiety over having a dental professional in such close proximity to them. Dental work requires us to closely examine your mouth, which can be embarrassing for some people.
- Rumors and “horror stories”
- There have been plenty of rumors circulating about going to the dentist and undergoing certain dental procedures. But in most cases, these rumors are nothing more than false or exaggerated “horror stories” that do nothing more than scare you.
Overcome Dental Anxiety
Because of the importance of proper dental care when it comes to maintaining your oral health, you should take steps to see what your options are. There are more comfort options than ever before to ensure patients are 100% comfortable and relaxed during their time with us.
At Smiles of Punta Gorda, we offer several comfort solutions as well as a few types of dental sedation. When you call our Punta Gorda, FL office to make an appointment, mention your concerns or struggles with dental anxiety. If you give us a heads up, we can better prepare for your appointment and share tips on how to become more relaxed before you get there.
If you think you could benefit from the use of sedation dentistry, ask us about your options when you call. In addition to sedation, we also use a local anesthetic when necessary to numb the area of your mouth we are working on. Our goal is to make sure you are completely comfortable and relaxed so that we can give you the dental care you need.