Part of the appeal of Invisalign treatment is how much easier it is than wearing braces, with the ability to eat whatever you want and no need for uncomfortable adjustments of wires. Still, there are several things you should do to ensure your treatment progresses smoothly.
If you’re still considering your orthodontic options, call Smiles of Punta Gorda at 941-585-0424 today. We’ll determine whether you’re a good candidate for the convenient clear aligners. If you are, we’ll create a personalized treatment plan for you.
That aspect is one of the benefits of Invisalign. Unlike metal braces, your aligners are custom made to address your specific issues and move your teeth into their proper positions. Because of this, most people complete their Invisalign treatment in less time than braces.
In the meantime, check out our tips here for successful treatment:
- Keep Your Aligners In – The magic number is 22. That’s the number of hours daily you should wear your aligners. It may be tempting to remove them for special occasions, but be careful not to take them out too often. If you do, your treatment will take longer.
- Always Carry a Case – Removing aligners for meals is certainly convenient – but it also makes it easier to misplace them. A surprising number of aligners have to be rescued from trash cans and other unlikely spots. We suggest immediately putting them into a case when you take them out. It makes it easier to keep track of them. Keep extra cases in your car, your desk, and other places where you spend a lot of time.
- Protect Aligners From Staining – One of the biggest advantages of Invisalign is how easily your aligners blend into your smile. They are much more noticeable if they are stained. Avoid staining by drinking only water when wearing them. Coffee, soda, and other beverages can stain them.
- Clean Your Aligners Carefully – We recommend cleaning aligners with a mild antibacterial soap instead of toothpaste. Many kinds of toothpaste can scratch the surface of your aligners. Use only a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Don’t Discard Too Quickly – When switching to a new set of aligners, it’s a good idea to keep the previous set. That way, you’ve got a “backup” set that can be used if you lose any aligners.
- Minimize Discomfort – Invisalign is far more comfortable than metal braces. Still, there can be some minor discomfort, especially when first switching to a new set of aligners. Our tip: Put new aligners in right before bedtime. They are less likely to bother you during the night.
To schedule an Invisalign consultation in Punta Gorda, FL, call 941-585-0424.